Happy 30th B-day to Mr. Devin Frank. Devin is our favorite guitar player in the world, favorite song writer, and favorite guy to beat in cards. His parents let little 16 year old Devin join the Poison Control Center and so in just a 2 more years he will have spent most of his life in this band.. Since the start Devin has made all of our songs more interesting and way better and hopefully we all added something to his. The newest tunes he has been writing are going to blow all your minds and Im so excited to get a chance to record some of them! Let raise a glass and hope now that he’s thirty all those chips dont go to his ass!
Exciting day on the PCC front. Devin releases the final chapter of Dracula’s Casket and Patrick’s Gloom Balloon’s Debut 7inch Single is released on Maximum Ames Records.
Devin has started a bandcamp page where you can hear the final in the epic saga of Dracula.. It’s pretty amazing and glad he has finally released it.. check it out here..
Also today is the release date for, “She was the One that Got Away,” 7inch single by GLOOM BALLOON on Maximum Ames Records. You can pick it up on Band Camp, Itunes, Amazon, or FROM THE BAND ON TOUR starting this week.. or hop over to
and grab one!
Patrick’s band Gloom Balloon’s debut album and single are now up for pre-sale on http://maximumamesrecords.com/2013/10/gloom-balloon-lpcd-7-now-available-for-preorder-with-incredible-extras-tour-dates-with-christopher-the-conquered-announced/
Gloom Balloon will also be heading out on tour with our pal Christopher the Conquered go see them when they hit your town…
Gloom Balloon’s debut release, She Was the One That Got Away (7″/DL), sounds like a modern day take on Van Morrison’s Astral Weeks, with saxes, flutes, and horns floating around a classic hip-hop beat. The single’s b-side features Bob Nastanovich of Pavement and the Silver Jews screaming imaginary horse names. It’s with that free-form style of collaboration and freedom that these home recordings are assembled.
Side A of Gloom Balloon’s debut LP, You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Disaster/Fix The Sunshine Pts. 1-7 (An Ode To Bill Doss) (LP/CD/DL), features songs written on the verge of suicide, elliptically examining emotions in a wonderfully melancholy song cycle. Featuring the Finezza Quartetto, each song shifts through familiar and forgotten sounds into colorful and unpredictable combinations. Side B (Fix The Sunshine) is dedicated entirely to Bill Doss, whose voice you hear on track one. The side is a sonic kaleidoscope of styles exploring experimental soundscapes, electronic beats, and straight up psych-pop. Gloom Balloon is talking directly to Will Cullen Hart and Bill Doss of The Olivia Tremor Control when he sings: “All the children in the world are one day going to die, so Will, You, and I.”
Preorder the vinyl now only as a bundle with the debut Gloom Balloon 7″ and receive:
- Advance shipping of the 7″ and album together
- Advance streaming of the album and 7″ tracks
- Collectible “gloom” balloons
- Exclusive digital download of a cover of Leonard Cohen’s “One of Us Cannot Be Wrong”
- Exclusive digital download of the acoustic demos of Side A of You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Disaster/Fix The Sunshine Pts. 1-7 (An Ode to Bill Doss)
- An autographed copy of a page of the string arrangements for the song “Gloom Balloon”, signed by Patrick Tape Fleming (Gloom Balloon), composer/conductor H.D. Harmsen, and co-producer/musician Christopher Ford (Christopher the Conquered).
- Personalized Gloom Balloon painting by Patrick Tape Fleming
- A chance to win a big Gloom Balloon painting and a test pressing of the LP + 7″
Gloom Balloon + Christopher the Conquered Tour Dates:
- 10/24 – Northfield, MN – The Chapel
- 10/25 – Minneapolis, MN – Triple Rock Social Club (w/ Jacuzzi Boys)
- 10/26 – Beloit, WI – Coughy Haus
- 10/27 – Madison, WI – Dragonfly Lounge
- 10/28 – Chicago, IL – TBA
- 10/29 – Galesburg, IL – TBA
- 10/30 – St. Louis, MO – Livery Company
- 10/31 – Nashville, TN – TBA
- 11/01 – Chattanooga, TN – JJ’s Bohemia
- 11/02 – Athens, GA – Flicker Theater
- 11/03 – Asheville, NC – Emerald Lounge
- 11/04 – Knoxville, TN – TBA
- 11/05 – Memphis, TN – CourtHouse Co-op
- 11/06 – Lafayette. LA – Artmosphere
- 11/07 – Houston, TX – TBA
- 11/08 – Austin, TX – Hole in the Wall
- 11/09 – Denton, TX – JJ’s Pizza
- 11/10 – Fayetteville, AR – Nightbird Books
- 11/11 – Colombia, MO – TBA
- 11/12 – Kirksville, MO – The Aquadome
The Poison Control Center’s Patrick debut solo project Gloom Balloon to release 7inch and Record before the years out.. Gloom Balloon’s debut single She Was The One That Got Away (7″/DL)is coming out on October 22nd! This track’s combination of saxes, flutes, horns, and a classic hip-hop beat make it reminiscent of a modern day take on Van Morrison’s Astral Weeks. The single is backed with the track “Science of Love Minus Harry Harlow”, which has been kicking off Gloom Balloon’s sets recently and getting folks groovin’ like you wouldn’t believe.
Besides providing its own great musical experience, this single will also be paving the way for the band’s first LP You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Disaster/Fix The Sunshine Pts. 1-7 (An Ode to Bill Doss) (LP/CD/DL), available on December 3rd. Check out the LP’s double album covers:
You will be able to pre-order both the 7″ and the LP as a bundle starting on Tuesday, October 1st atmaximumamesrecords.com/shop. Pre-orders come with loads of great bonuses:
- An autographed copy of a page of the string arrangements for the song “Gloom Balloon” – signed by songwriter Patrick Tape Fleming, composer H.D. Harmsen, and co-producer Christopher Ford
- A personal Gloom Balloon painting by Patrick Tape Fleming
- Be entered to win a big Gloom Balloon painting and a test pressing of the record!
- Exclusive download of a cover of Leonard Cohen’s “One of Us Cannot Be Wrong”
- Exclusive download of the acoustic demos of Side A of the LP
- Some actual Gloom Balloons!
Have you seen the new Iowa State University Engineering Comercial. Yep they use the Poison Control Center song Thousand Colors! So rad, you know 3 members of the PCC graduated from ISU! So proud!
on Aug 30th go celebrate our own Patrick’s B-day with a show @vaudevillemews PBR Bar featuring Pure Gut, Wolves In the Attic, Quick Piss, and Fithume (who is Aaron Hefley of Pookey Bleum’s New Band) It’s also Aaron’s B-day and Stone’s from Quick Piss..
Show starts at 5pm, its all ages, and Dj Tone Zone and Dj Hogstyle will spin till close!
Last year Patrick’s b-day party got busted by the cops so anything can happen! PS it’s FREE!
Patrick’s Gloom Balloon will be playing at the PBR Bar on Aug 2nd start of show at 9pm before Maids, Analiberia, and Mr. Nasti get it going inside the @vaudevillemews. Patrick will also Dj the rest of the night outside!
Next week catch Devin’s Mantis Pincers at the PBR Bar as well Aug 10th at 9pm.
Last but not least we are excited to announce another PCC offspring! Our booking agent Shawn Krueger and his lovely wife Emily have welcomed Samuel Emmett Krueger into the world. He’s a beauty! Congrats guys!
WOW Chris Ford of Christopher the Conquered covered another PCC song for his CTC Sings series, this time he tackles another Sad Sour Future tune… Yellow Image..
Well done Chris you rule!
Go see him and HD HARMSEN on tour now!
The Poison Control Center’s dearest friend and sometime fill in drummer has covered the PCC’s Tiny Isle off of Sad Sour Future for his CTC Sings Series.. Check it out above its beautiful! Go see Chris on Tour with HD HARMSEN as we speak…
Saturday July 6th the Poison Control Center will be playing the @8035 After Party at the Vaudeville Mews with Ramona and the Swimsuits and Pure Gut! It’s FREEEEE doors open after Wu Tang finishes! Super excited ALL of PCC will be here!
Also at noon on Saturday Patrick’s project GLOOM BALLOON will be playing the 8035 Fest on the Kum and Go Stage! This is also Free and Patrick promises a Family Friendly Set.
Gloom Balloon will also be playing an acoustic set in the US Cellular Tent at 4:30pm!
We are so excited for the weekend!